Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Baking Soda Explosion!

Today's experiment: BAKING SODA EXPLOSION!!!!!
Hypothesis: I think that if you combine vinegar and baking soda in a plastic (zip type) bag, sealing the bag, it will EXPLODE!!

Directions: You will need about a 1/4 cup of baking soda and a 1/2 cup of vinegar as well as a small zip type bag.



You might also want to employ a helper. I used my sister, but I didn't have to pay her because my mom said she has to help me. =) hee hee



Have your helper hold the bag (just in case something explodes early, that way only your helper will smell like vinegar for a week, and you can still go out in pubic...) while you pour the baking soda in first and then quickly add the vinegar. Make sure to close the bag AS SOON AS the ingredients are combined. Then SHAKE IT!





Conclusion: The bag didn't explode but it started expanding as soon as it was sealed. It got tighter when I shook it, and I really thought it would explode. After a little while, without any explosive action, I decided to help the process along by throwing the bag down from my deck to the ground. It still didn't explode, but it sprang a leak. 


1 comment:

  1. It was fun watching your experiment today. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's adventure! (Be careful!)

    ReplyDelete